Gas logs are the perfect way to have the beauty and ambiance of a fire in your existing masonry or pre-fabricated fireplace with just a turn of a knob, flip of a switch or the push of a button. Gas logs will supply the realism of a wood fire without the labor or maintenance.
Nordic Stove & Fireplace Center has been selling R.H. Peterson Real Fyre gas logs for over thirty years… longer than anyone in the area. We have the knowledge and expertise when it comes to vented gas logs for a fireplace*.
Points to consider before investing in a gas log set:
- Does the fireplace work as an open wood burning fireplace? Your chimney must pull the exhaust up and out. If cold air is coming down the chimney and into the fireplace- which indicates a downdraft- gas logs should not be installed. If smoke comes into the room when you burn wood, do not install gas logs.
- There is no smoke with gas logs but there are carbon and carbon monoxide- byproducts of the gas combustion. Some carbon on the logs is to be expected, and is normal. If the chimney has a down draft or does not draft properly, carbon and carbon monoxide could spill out of the fireplace and into the room.
- Vented gas logs will provide the “looks” and convenience, but will not heat a room. You will feel heat as you sit or stand around them but don’t expect them to heat a room.
- A plumber must install the gas line and hook up the logs. A clamp will be attached to the damper of the fireplace- or the damper will be permanently fixed in the open position. This is done because there is a standing pilot used in all of the gas log sets and the damper must always be open to allow the pilot gases to vent up the chimney. Get an estimate from a plumber first before you invest in a log set. You want to make sure their installation price fits the budget.
- Measure the floor of the fireplace to determine the right size log set. Measure the width across the front of the opening; the width across the back wall; and the depth. With these numbers Nordic can determine the right size for you.